Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Dunedin 6 hour

After recovering from the Timaru 12 hour a few weeks earlier I was keen to give the Dunedin 6 hour a good nudge. Riding my new 2013 Giant XTC composite 29er  that I picked up 2 days before the race I could not wait to get started. 
Coming into the end of the first lap I had my first drama of the day, a puncture! Not to worry I thought there is still plenty of time left in front of me to catch up.




Back up and running I rolled through the start/ finish cute to see I was sitting in 11th place, I had some work to do. Riding hard I moved my way up through the field picking up on average 1 place each lap on the tight relatively short course.  



 
 A couple of photos taken by Brendan Ward Photographer

 Finally I started making some head way and I could see 2nd and 3rd place up ahead of me on certain sections of the course. With some revived hope I kept pushing hard.
Then on what was my second to last lap I suffered another puncture (later that evening at home I pulled a peice of wire 2 cm long out of my tyre that I must have picked up on one of the bridges).




With the puncture fixed it was off for one last lap to place 4th in the solo mens section. All in all a good day out on the new bike.
Cheers to the guys at R&R Sport for getting my new bike built up in time for the race and then also making my wheels tubeless the week after the race. Hopefully that will help stop my recent puncture problem.


 




No comments:

Post a Comment