Friday, September 25, 2009

Brass Monkey Triathlon

When the opportunity came up to share a ride back to the West Coast to compete in the Brass Monkey Triathlon I could not say no. A chance to race on home soil and catch up with my dad, things don’t get much better.
This is my favourite race in the world. I first competed in the race 8 years ago and this was my first every multisport race. The course consists of a 6km run, 5km kayak and 16km road bike. It is a community run event and always has a good turnout.
With some of the locals keen to push the pace the run was hard and fast. I found myself out the front and just before the finish 2 other of the top individuals joined me at the front.
A fast transition into the kayak saw an instant 30sec gap open up between myself and the chasers. Paddling a borrowed Evo edge I set to work on the paddle. I had to slow down a few times to make sure I looked around as the views on the mirror lake were stunning to say the least. Out of the boat and I had managed to paddle the fastest kayak stage out of the whole race (teams included).


Final few strokes of the paddle stage


The eternal struggle out of the kayak

On to the bike and it was off on the final stage. I set to work riding but my legs were feeling a little heavy with the cold. I set a good time on the bike considering I was by myself the whole time (4th fastest overall) and ran down the chute to finish 1st.

On the road to the finish

Good to be done

No comments:

Post a Comment